Are you using an UML Approach
John Foster
2004-03-11 21:08:02 UTC
To All:

This is a redirect from the ongoing FileMaker 7 thread. Specifically, it is a question in relation to what Douglas Wagner said.
I'm in the process of learning UML at present.
I've been contemplating, well actually went down this path in 1997/98, of adding in most of the UML diagrams in a future release of DataPulse (DP). Anyway, I'm curious to know if this would be time well spent? Of course, I'm thinking about GoldFinger here, but it could also work for procedural programming, although it would be overkill.

If you wouldn't mind I like to get an idea as to how many developers are familiar with UML.

- Do you currently produce UML diagrams in your development cycle?

- Do you have a tool that produces UML diagrams?

- If you are a DP user, woudl this be something you'd like to see?

- If not a DP user (and why aren't you? <grin>) would this be an attractive feature?

- Which UML diagrams do you specifically find most useful?

If you'd prefer you can email me privately or post to the NUG.

Going OOP won't make things easier from an analysis and design sense. It will become more involved and easy to become buried in the branches while losing sight of the trees.

Thanks for taking the time,
John...

John Foster 17122 29th DR SE
Eternity Software Bothell, WA 98012
John_Foster-***@public.gmane.org 425-486-1622

More Info:
http://www.johnjfoster.com/ES_Products.html

Specifics about DataPulse Gold
http://www.johnjfoster.com/ES_GoldPreview.html

Side by side comparison of features:
http://www.johnjfoster.com/ES_DPSideBySide.html

Want to buy now (and why shouldnÕt you?):
http://www.johnjfoster.com/ES_BuyNow.html

4th Dimension Internet Users Group (4D iNUG)
FAQ: http://www.pdm-inc.com/iNUG/faq.htm
Admin: mailto:iNUG-***@public.gmane.org
Unsub: mailto:4D_Tech-off-d2/***@public.gmane.org
Michael Goldsmith
2004-03-11 21:45:54 UTC
Post by John Foster
This is a redirect from the ongoing FileMaker 7 thread. Specifically,
it is a question in relation to what Douglas Wagner said.
I'm in the process of learning UML at present.
I've been contemplating, well actually went down this path in 1997/98,
of adding in most of the UML diagrams in a future release of DataPulse
(DP). Anyway, I'm curious to know if this would be time well spent? Of
course, I'm thinking about GoldFinger here, but it could also work for
procedural programming, although it would be overkill.
If you wouldn't mind I like to get an idea as to how many developers are familiar with UML.
- Do you currently produce UML diagrams in your development cycle?
Occasionally
Post by John Foster
- Do you have a tool that produces UML diagrams?
I ma using ConceptDraw at this time
Post by John Foster
- If you are a DP user, woudl this be something you'd like to see?
Yes !!!!!!!
Post by John Foster
- If not a DP user (and why aren't you? <grin>) would this be an attractive feature?
- Which UML diagrams do you specifically find most useful?
Use cases & Activity Diagrams
Jonathan Le
2004-03-11 23:58:24 UTC
It's always a good idea to produce some sort of specification diagram for
any project; may it be UML, CRC, or whatever. Even if the language choice
is not object oriented, an objective view will help you modularize your
design.

- Do you currently produce UML diagrams in your development cycle?
Always

- Do you have a tool that produces UML diagrams?
Rational Rose is great, but pen and paper works

- Which UML diagrams do you specifically find most useful?
Use case, class view

Jonathan Le

Admin: mailto:iNUG-***@public.gmane.org <mailto:iNUG-***@public.gmane.org>

Larry White
2004-03-12 00:19:53 UTC
On 3/11/04 5:08 PM, "John Foster" <truegold-0cCTJL/hGkFWk0Htik3J/***@public.gmane.org> wrote:

John,
Post by John Foster
- Do you currently produce UML diagrams in your development cycle?
Yes.
Post by John Foster
- Do you have a tool that produces UML diagrams?
Concept Draw
Post by John Foster
- If you are a DP user, woudl this be something you'd like to see?
You already know the answer ;-).
Post by John Foster
- Which UML diagrams do you specifically find most useful?
Use case and activity.

Cheers,
--
Larry White, P.Eng.
Post by John Foster
Pelican Engineering
lwhite-VEAcV+Q4/***@public.gmane.org
www.pelicaneng.ca

John Foster
2004-03-12 02:09:04 UTC
Jonathan,
Post by Jonathan Le
It's always a good idea to produce some sort of specification diagram
for any project; may it be UML, CRC, or whatever. Even if the
language choice is not object oriented, an objective view will help
you modularize your design.
Of course! And I agree!

The point was that there are many roads to Rome. The UML (or any approach really) has a lot to offer precisely because it forces you to think through the concepts, both before, and as your building. My focus on UML is because it has become the defacto standard. With DataPulse it's a question of which concept is applicable and which will help a developer get more bang for his buck. I won't try and create it all but I will likely add in the most helpful diagrams.
Post by Jonathan Le
Rational Rose is great, but pen and paper works
I took a good look at Rational Rose and I found it to be more expensive (it was several thousand) and a bit too comprehensive, aka, complex. And personally I didn't find it to be as intuitive as it could be. But that was me.
Post by Jonathan Le
- Which UML diagrams do you specifically find most useful?
Use case, class view
Makes a lot of sense because your capturing a rough "feel" for the process with Use Cases and then using class diagrams roughly as "tables".

Thansk for the feedback,

Douglas Wagner
2004-03-12 10:57:21 UTC
Hello:

This may be of interest.

Best Wishes: DW

http://www.htc.honeywell.com/dome/
DOME (the DOmain Modeling Environment) is a meta-CASE system suitable
for building object oriented software models (Coad-Yourdon OOA and
UML, for example), and more importantly, for building original types
of models. It includes a graphical front-end, and a powerful back-end
language for generating code, analyses and documentation.
It is fully functional, tested, documented, and it is free,
distributed under GNU General Public licenses.